Timer Jobs replacement

Apr 8, 2014 at 4:43 PM
In one of the videos I saw from Vesa Juvonen I heard that probably timer jobs could be replaced by azure worker roles, as a Sharepoint developer I dont have experience with azure worker roles so it would be great to include an example that uses azure worker roles for a periodical task, example: calculate something based on list data.

Thats my first question which applies for sharepoint online, but what about for on prem?, what would be the replacement of timer jobs on prem? a windows service using csom? a console app using csom and task scheduler? I am with you in all this AMS world and I would like to find an alternative for FTS for timer jobs.
Coordinator
Apr 23, 2014 at 11:16 AM
Thanks for the suggestion and we will certainly include additional details on the timer job replacement to the Office AMS package.

In general the timer jobs are just scheduled tasks to execute operations. In cloud you can use worker roles or WebJobs and in on-prem solution could be as simple as PowerShell script scheduled in Windows scheduled, which is calling the CSOM operations to perform needed actions.

It all comes down however on the actual details on that timer job actually did. Some times they performed some administrative operations, which might not be available from the CSOM or remote APIs in general. Often though you can achieve the pretty similar end results simply by combining APIs also by using this new approach.
Coordinator
May 19, 2014 at 5:41 PM
In the v2.0 version of the package, we did provide example of the timer job model usage with CAM. This is the Core.SimpleTimerJob sample under Samples folder.
Marked as answer by vesaj on 5/19/2014 at 10:41 AM