Hosting an App for SharePoint in Azure without HTTPS

May 25, 2014 at 8:59 AM
Hello,

I am now testing some of the samples, and perhaps I will ask a silly question. Is it somehow possible to host my provider-hosted app on Azure WebSites without HTTPS? Azure web sites do not allow to upload certificates unless you use a paid (Standard) instance. With Shared instances it doesn't allow to have an HTTPS endpoint... I understand that for production it is not an option, but for esting and playing - perhaps it is somwhow possible?

Thanks in advance!
May 25, 2014 at 6:04 PM
Edited May 25, 2014 at 6:31 PM
Found out that azure web sites come with a certificate included if you use the free version and .azurewebsites.net domain. For cloud services it is possible to use a self-sidned certificate, which is not as nice but also works. Main idea is that you don't need to purchase a certificate.

PS it would be good if cloud service web roles would have an easier way to publish HTTPS endpoints. It still requires some configuration.
Coordinator
May 26, 2014 at 6:52 AM
Thanks Ivan for following up on the issue.
That's indeed correct, as long as you use the azurewebsites.net domain, you don't have any issues and I completely agree on the web role suggestion.
May 26, 2014 at 12:00 PM
Perhaps I just don't forsee the trouble, but I want to change the hybrid site collection deployment solution so that it uses just a simple Azure Web Site instead of a cloud service. The web site will put request to Azure Service Bus, and all the actual work will be done by a service hosted on-prem. It can create both O365 and on-prem site collections. The whole setup seems simpler in this case...
Coordinator
May 26, 2014 at 1:42 PM
That's not a bad idea at all and makes lot of sense.
We are also working on a sample to be included to Office ASM with web jobs and web sites for the provisioning, so that the setup is simpler.