Request How To: Use of People Picker in Provider Hosted App

Jun 30, 2014 at 8:13 AM
Hi,

I am trying to implement People Picker in SharePoint 2013 application (Provider-Hosted App Model).

I get several JavaScript Errors:
Object doesn't support property or method 'SPClientPeoplePicker_InitStandaloneControlWrapper'

or if i use SharePoint Server Site People Picker Control i get this error :
Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

We try to test different other ways to get the People Infos in Provider-Hosted App Model. But all without success.

I read the MSDN regarding the Problem and here is written: in short: not possible to use PP in PHApp. I can't believe this.

I don't want a discussion why, i need a solution or a workaround fast.

Thank all in advanced
Best Regards
Lars
Coordinator
Jun 30, 2014 at 8:28 AM
Hi Lars,
Native people picker in SP2103 does not work with provider hosted apps, rather only with SP hosted apps. There is currently a official preview version out of the Office365 people picker, but that is only for preview usage and should not be used in production.

As part of Office AMS we have however shared community IP for this one, which you could use as such. Have a look on the Components\Core.PeoplePicker sample in the v2.0 package. This demonstrates how the use people picker with Office365 from your provider hosted apps.

If you have any questions related on the Office AMS sample, use this forum. Any generic SP development topics should be routed to Stack Overflow at http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/ms-office. Product group is closely following these and provides input as fast as possible.
Jul 8, 2014 at 5:28 AM
Edited Jul 8, 2014 at 5:30 AM
Hi ,

I have downloaded the AMS samples. and Trying to implement people picker in our provider hosted environment. we are using SharePoint on-premise (Sharepoint server edition).
In the doc "PeoplePicker for provider hosted SP apps" in the path components -->Core.PeoplePicker , it tells us that the example applies to sharepoint-onpremise too. But in the last thread in this discussion our friend Vesaj points out that _" Native people picker in SP2103 does not work with provider hosted apps, rather only with SP hosted apps. and Have a look on the Components\Core.PeoplePicker sample in the v2.0 package. This demonstrates how the use people picker with Office365 from your provider hosted apps."

Now , I am confused whether we can implement people picker for SharePoint on-premise and Provider hosted app combination.

Please advise.

Regards
Vinu Tomy.
Coordinator
Jul 9, 2014 at 8:15 AM
Hi Vinu,
the quoted text essentially means that the Office365 API preview of the people picker is in preview status. The one what we have in the Office AMS is not the same one and this one can be used in provider hosted apps, since Office AMS samples are for you to own and reuse as needed.
Jul 10, 2014 at 6:20 PM
Edited Jul 10, 2014 at 6:20 PM
Hi Vesaj,

its not clear for my why we can't use the people picker in provider hosted app.
We use on-premise SharePoint Server.
Is there not a OOTB Feature, i can't believe that MS have miss that kind of system feature.

Regards Lars
Coordinator
Jul 10, 2014 at 6:35 PM
Edited Jul 10, 2014 at 6:36 PM
Hi larspl,
you can use the people picker from Office AMS samples in cloud or in on-premises without any issues. Office AMS version can be used without any issues or have you run into some problems with it?

Office365 Product Group has also preview version of the official people picker for provider hosted apps, which is however in previews status... this is the one which we don't recommend to use in production just yet, until the official version is out.

So I would not say we have missed anything. We have already now possibility to use people picker... :-)
Aug 20, 2014 at 12:20 PM
Hi Vesaj,

We are using SharePoint 2013 on premise environment (High trust apps). We tried to implement People picker in our solution using Office AMS samples but couldnt achieve it, because we don't have access token(client side) or oAuth or seller dashboard to get the SharePoint context to resolve the User.
Also we faced issues in loading dependent java script files.

Is there any approach to resolve this issue?

Thanks And Regards,
Gomathi
Coordinator
Aug 22, 2014 at 10:46 AM
Hi gomathinetha,
I'm not sure what issues you actually got in detail, but the code should be working with on-premises as well. I have not however written this example, so would revert to the right people or would access assistance from the others in community. I'd recommend using the Yammer group where we have all the core team members included for these kind of questions. You can find the Yammer group for Office 365 Dev PnP project from following address - https://www.yammer.com/itpronetwork/#/threads/inGroup?type=in_group&feedId=4597220.
Oct 30, 2014 at 8:56 AM
Hi,

We are using people picker control in our OnPremise High Trust app page. When we type something in the people picker box, it doesn't fetch list of users matching the typed name and it shows errors in browser console referring to "res://ieframe.dll/". For example "SEC7111: HTTPS security is compromised by res://ieframe.dll/dnserrordiagoff.htm" or "SEC7111: HTTPS security is compromised by res://ieframe.dll/ErrorPageTemplate.css"

Has anyone faced such type of issue with people picker earlier?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Br,
Shriram
Coordinator
Oct 30, 2014 at 10:06 AM
Hi Shi
That could be an issue with the security zones in the browser. You need to ensure that the portal and the SP app domains are in the same zone. If there's any other questions, please use the Office 365 Developer Yammer group for them where we have more than 650 people already signed up and available for assistance.

http://aka.ms/officedevpnpyammer